"Physics is Fun"
(Feimer's Physics Page)
Special Announcements and Activities Information
As part of out on going effort to evaluate students oral and written communication various tasks will be assigned to different students depending on both their level and what evaluation(s) are taking place at that level. Also students will be assigned both lab a lab simulation and a laboratory research project.
1. Oral and written communication project:
Students assigned this task are asked to research two major theories in science today. One is the theory of evolution and the other is the big bang theory. The objectives of this assignment are to:
1. Explain the difference between a theory and a hypothesis.
2. Explain the scientific definition of the term theory and compare that to how it is commonly used in everyday speech.
3. Summarize the "Theory of Evolution"
4. Summarize the "Theory of the Big Bang"
5. Discuss which of the two theories have significantly more evidence supporting it at this time.
The two web sites that you must use, though you may also use others, are
On yahoo search, typing in Big Bang, Select from the list of sites "Big Bang Theory - presents the history of the theory and its evidence."
You are to work in groups of three and put together both
an oral presentation and a written report with correct citations for the
web sites used. Date due is to be announced.
2. Laboratory research project:
"The investigation of the Pendulum"
3. Bridge Building Project:
You will receive in class instruction on the construction
of bridges using bridge building simulation software. You are also
to do some on research about types of bridges using the web site address
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/bridge/ which launches the NOVA web
site Super Bridge. You can find this site by using yahoo to find web sites
about bridges also.
Return to Student Information
Return to Home Page